An article in the New York Times spotlights Vermont's efforts to restore and repair these theatre curtains all across the state.

The curtain on the stage in the Town Hall is a quintessential example of a historical New England painted curtain. A scene depicting Lake Morey, copied from a postcard, was painted on the curtain in 1912 by L.L. Graham and Sons, who were painters in Brooklyn, New York. Fortunately, the curtain had not yet been installed in the Opera House at the time of the fire in December 1912.

When the new Town Hall was finished in 1914, the curtain was hung in the second floor auditorium, but later taken down and stored for 35 years. In 2006, as part of a statewide effort to locate and restore historic painted theater curtains, the Fairlee curtain was professionally cleaned and repaired so that it could once again hang above the stage of the second floor auditorium. On Sunday July 23, 2006, it was unveiled and rededicated as an important part of the Fairlee Town Hall.