Selectboad Minutes 2017-7-31

TOWN OF FAIRLEE SELECTBOARD MEETING FINAL MINUTES

TOWN OF FAIRLEE LIBRARY

FAIRLEE, VERMONT 05045

Monday July 31, 2017

6:00 p.m.  CALL TO ORDER

PRESENT:

  • Selectboard Members: Peter Berger (Vice-Chair), Frank J. Barrett, Jr.
  • Town Administrator: Brian Hanson
  • Visitors:  Noel Walker, Chris Brimmer
  • Minutes Clerk: Stephanie A. Taylor

AGENDA MODIFICATIONS:

MOTION: Peter Berger/Frank J. Barrett, Jr. (moved and seconded) made a motion to accept the agenda as amended. The vote passed unanimously.

STAFF & PUBLIC COMMENTS:

Zoning Administrator Chris Brimmer informed the Selectboard that he has compiled a list of contacts regarding the potential sale of the Putnam Property. He has been in contact with Bruce Durgin who will be taking the lead.

The proposed housing market study will cost between $5-12,000. Grant money may be available to defray the cost of the project. The Lake Morey Foundation may be interested in contributing to the project.

Brian Hanson has been working on the paving of Park & Ride lot. A Phase II grant application for work on the north side of the lot will be submitted later this year. The Zoning Administrator anticipates that the AARP grant for a bus shelter should be decided soon.

Peter Berger would like more information about ditching and culvert work covered in the current AOT grant.

Chief of Police Jason Bachus asked if requirements for handicapped parking space signage at businesses in the Town of Fairlee could be improved. He suggested that the Town of Fairlee consider requiring marking the spaces on the ground.

Chief Bachus asked about the process to decrease the speed limit around Lake Morey Road. During Parents Weekend there were incidents of speeding. Peter Berger suggested that speed bumps could be installed.

Peter Berger noted that speeding on Route 5 particularly on Friday afternoons continues to be a problem. Tire marks on Maurice Roberts Road indicate speeding there. Chief Bachus will work with the Sheriff on additional patrolling.

Frank J. Barrett, Jr. suggested that AOT be contacted to initiate a traffic survey to analyze both traffic volumes and speeds.

Chief Bachus informed the Selectboard about a cat hoarding situation that will require extra funds be expended in excess of the annual animal control budget. The exact amount will depend on the number of cats found on the property.

Noel Walker spoke on behalf of the Town Hall Building Committee regarding the Grange Room doors in the Town Hall. She asked if the alternative of keeping the doors fixed in place and putting up sheet rock through the hallway could be considered. This would create a continuous wall surface and display space.

Frank J. Barrett, Jr. suggested that a picture rail with a standard molding could be added.

Peter Berger suggested that obtaining information/recommendations from Engineer Tim Schaal about the water tank would be best before the next meeting with the water operators. Gary Leach, Principal Engineer, of Tata & Howard will prepare a memo summarizing state recommendations on monitoring of iron and manganese in the water system.

Mr. Leach has received a cost estimate from R.H. White regarding the failing water tank. There will be a meeting on August 11 at the tank site to inspect the tank and evaluate the situation.

NEW BUSINESS:

Town Administrator Brian Hanson is in contact with two firms to obtain cost estimates for painting the railroad station. He will contact three more contractors.

OLD/UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

Brian Hanson discussed the Town Hall shared septic system project and presented the draft agreement from 2005 with the Church of Christ trustees. Georgette Wolf-Ludwig will speak with the trustees this week.

Cathy McGrath is reviewing the draft conflict of interest language. Frank J. Barrett, Jr. suggested that each job description for town employees/contractors contain a statement about the position of the Town of Fairlee on potential conflicts of interest.

The Selectboard members reviewed the Town Administrator position description.

Peter Berger has been in contact with Carol Stanigar regarding her move and the inventory of garden plants. The Fairlee gardeners will be purchasing some of plants for flowerbeds near the railroad station and at other locations.

BOARD ORDERS/CORRESPONDENCE:

The board orders and correspondence were presented for signature.

MINUTES:

MOTION:

Peter Berger/Frank J. Barrett, Jr. made a motion (moved and seconded) to accept the minutes of July 24.

ACTION ITEMS:

  • Town Administrator Update
  • Finance Committee
  • Transition Tasks and Melissa Gahagan
  • Gladstone Solar

TOWN OF FAIRLEE SELECTBOARD MEETING FINAL MINUTES

TOWN OF FAIRLEE LIBRARY

FAIRLEE, VERMONT 05045

Monday July 31, 2017

6:00 p.m.  CALL TO ORDER

PRESENT:

Selectboard Members: Peter Berger (Vice-Chair), Frank J. Barrett, Jr.

Town Administrator: Brian Hanson

Visitors:  Noel Walker, Chris Brimmer

Minutes Clerk: Stephanie A. Taylor

AGENDA MODIFICATIONS:

MOTION: Peter Berger/Frank J. Barrett, Jr. (moved and seconded) made a motion to accept the agenda as amended. The vote passed unanimously.

STAFF & PUBLIC COMMENTS:

Zoning Administrator Chris Brimmer informed the Selectboard that he has compiled a list of contacts regarding the potential sale of the Putnam Property. He has been in contact with Bruce Durgin who will be taking the lead.

The proposed housing market study will cost between $5-12,000. Grant money may be available to defray the cost of the project. The Lake Morey Foundation may be interested in contributing to the project.

Brian Hanson has been working on the paving of Park & Ride lot. A Phase II grant application for work on the north side of the lot will be submitted later this year. The Zoning Administrator anticipates that the AARP grant for a bus shelter should be decided soon.

Peter Berger would like more information about ditching and culvert work covered in the current AOT grant.

Chief of Police Jason Bachus asked if requirements for handicapped parking space signage at businesses in the Town of Fairlee could be improved. He suggested that the Town of Fairlee consider requiring marking the spaces on the ground.

Chief Bachus asked about the process to decrease the speed limit around Lake Morey Road. During Parents Weekend there were incidents of speeding. Peter Berger suggested that speed bumps could be installed.

Peter Berger noted that speeding on Route 5 particularly on Friday afternoons continues to be a problem. Tire marks on Maurice Roberts Road indicate speeding there. Chief Bachus will work with the Sheriff on additional patrolling.

Frank J. Barrett, Jr. suggested that AOT be contacted to initiate a traffic survey to analyze both traffic volumes and speeds.

Chief Bachus informed the Selectboard about a cat hoarding situation that will require extra funds be expended in excess of the annual animal control budget. The exact amount will depend on the number of cats found on the property.

Noel Walker spoke on behalf of the Town Hall Building Committee regarding the Grange Room doors in the Town Hall. She asked if the alternative of keeping the doors fixed in place and putting up sheet rock through the hallway could be considered. This would create a continuous wall surface and display space.

Frank J. Barrett, Jr. suggested that a picture rail with a standard molding could be added.

Peter Berger suggested that obtaining information/recommendations from Engineer Tim Schaal about the water tank would be best before the next meeting with the water operators. Gary Leach, Principal Engineer, of Tata & Howard will prepare a memo summarizing state recommendations on monitoring of iron and manganese in the water system.

Mr. Leach has received a cost estimate from R.H. White regarding the failing water tank. There will be a meeting on August 11 at the tank site to inspect the tank and evaluate the situation.

NEW BUSINESS:

Town Administrator Brian Hanson is in contact with two firms to obtain cost estimates for painting the railroad station. He will contact three more contractors.

OLD/UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

Brian Hanson discussed the Town Hall shared septic system project and presented the draft agreement from 2005 with the Church of Christ trustees. Georgette Wolf-Ludwig will speak with the trustees this week.

Cathy McGrath is reviewing the draft conflict of interest language. Frank J. Barrett, Jr. suggested that each job description for town employees/contractors contain a statement about the position of the Town of Fairlee on potential conflicts of interest.

The Selectboard members reviewed the Town Administrator position description.

Peter Berger has been in contact with Carol Stanigar regarding her move and the inventory of garden plants. The Fairlee gardeners will be purchasing some of plants for flowerbeds near the railroad station and at other locations.

BOARD ORDERS/CORRESPONDENCE:

The board orders and correspondence were presented for signature.

MINUTES:

MOTION:

Peter Berger/Frank J. Barrett, Jr. made a motion (moved and seconded) to accept the minutes of July 24.

ACTION ITEMS:

Town Administrator Update

Finance Committee

Transition Tasks and Melissa Gahagan

Gladstone Solar

ADJOURN: Time 7:25pm.

MOTION: Peter Berger/Frank J. Barrett, Jr. made a motion (moved and seconded) to adjourn the meeting.

Attest: Stephanie A. Taylor

Minutes Clerk

 

Comments are closed.