Town of Fairlee Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Town Of Fairlee Town Hall
75 Town Common Road
Fairlee, Vermont 05045
Monday, April 3, 2017
6:00 p.m. CALL TO ORDER
- Selectboard Members: Cathy McGrath (Chair); Peter Berger (Vice-Chair); Frank J. Barrett, Jr.
- Town Administrator: Brian Hanson
- Minutes Clerk: Stephanie A. Taylor
- Visitors: Lisa Hinsley, Georgette Wolf-Ludwig, Noel Walker
MOTION: Frank J. Barrett, Jr. /Peter Berger (moved and seconded) made a motion to accept agenda with modifications. The vote passed unanimously.
STAFF & PUBLIC COMMENTS:
Town Administrator Brian Hanson announced that the Town of Fairlee has received a grant for $16,470 for milfoil control in Lake Morey.
Town Administrator Brian Hanson informed the Town of Fairlee Selectboard that Charlotte Adams has requested permission to use the town common for a tent to handle overflow from the Fairlee Community Church of Christ during the funeral for Alice Adams on June 3, 2017. This event was entered on the town common schedule.
PROGRESS/REVIEW OF OLD BUSINESS:
- The Town of Fairlee Selectboard discussed the proposed layout for the new septic system for the Town of Fairlee Town Hall. Frank J. Barrett, Jr. noted that no parking will be allowed over the septic tank unless special manhole covers are constructed to protect it.
- At least eighteen parking spaces can be accommodated along the back fence of the property with the potential for up to thirty parking spaces if the adjacent church property is available. Town Administrator Brian Hanson will work with the septic system designer Todd Hill on the potential for manhole covers as part of the septic system design.
- Peter Berger noted that the Development Review Board will require a letter documenting the proposed parking for the Town Hall renovation project.
- Cathy McGrath suggested that the Town of Fairlee work with the Fairlee Community Church of Christ on a possible agreement about shared parking. Attorney Paul Gillies could be consulted about the need for a legal agreement to document the arrangement.
- Cathy McGrath noted that the bid documents for improvements to Lake Morey Road were not yet available from Tata & Howard.
- Cathy McGrath distributed a draft voter information document describing the benefits and cost of the Town Hall renovation project. The Town of Fairlee Selectboard discussed the advantage of moving forward with investing in the Town Hall renovation project. Interest rates will likely rise later in the year and CDBG grants may not be available next year.
- The Town of Fairlee Selectboard in their role as Water Commissioners discussed the need for a business analysis of water rates. Town Administrator Brian Hanson will contact the Vermont League of Cities and Towns and inquire about water rates and the use of water meters in other towns in the region.
- Town Treasurer Lisa Hinsley presented two letters to the Town of Fairlee Selectboard regarding the new categories in recent water bills to the Town of Fairlee Selectboard. The categories are based on the number of units and the type of structure.
- The Town of Fairlee Selectboard suggested that Town Administrator Brian Hanson work with Zoning Administrator Chris Brimmer and investigate the potential for an Asset Management Planning Grant for the Town of Fairlee public water system. The grant would fund a study to determine if capital costs are being covered as well as operating costs.
- Cathy McGrath will prepare written responses to Ms. Huggett and Ms. Larson regarding the water billing categories and the classification of each structure.
MOTION: Peter Berger/Frank J. Barrett, Jr. (moved and seconded) made a motion to issue shutoff notices to all delinquent water users. The motion passed unanimously.
- Peter Berger requested that Town Administrator Brian Hanson review the Water Commissioners Policy in the Town Policies and Procedures manual regarding the installation/replacement of private water lines. The Town Administrator will work with the Town Treasurer and review the policies.
Peter Berger noted that the Town of Fairlee will need to develop a new contract with Tata & Howard to include water system improvements.
Frank J. Barrett, Jr. asked about the percentage of Fairlee’s debt load versus the value of the town’s grand list. The Town of Fairlee’s municipal tax rate is one of the lowest in Orange County. Peter Berger suggested that the Vermont State Treasurer’s office would have this information.
The orders and correspondence were presented to the Town of Fairlee Selectboard for signatures. These included excess weight permits.
MOTION: Peter Berger/Frank J. Barrett, Jr. (moved and seconded) made a motion to approve the minutes of March 27, 2017 with corrections. The motion passed unanimously.
Address parking needs for Town Hall renovation project
Zoning Administrator Chris Brimmer to assist with preparations for Development Review Board meeting on April 11
Discuss All-Access INFOTECH services/staff needs with Noel Walker
ADJOURN: – Time 8:33 p.m.
MOTION: Frank J. Barrett Jr./Peter Berger (moved and seconded) made a motion to close the meeting. The motion passed unanimously.
Attest: Stephanie A. Taylor